Address numbers are not only convenient for finding address but necessary for emergency responders to locate those in need. When responding to an emergency, minutes matter so be sure that fire fire, ambulance and police personnel can easily and quickly find your address.
In an effort to ensure a timely response to emergency situations the East Grand Forks Fire Department would like to inform you of the requirements for displaying address numbers on your home, apartment building or business. These requirements are from the 2020 Minnesota State Fire Code which applies to all structures-residential or commercial; private and public.
PREMISES IDENTICATION MSFC 505.1 Address Identification: New and existing buildings shall have approved address identification. The address identification shall be legible and placed in a position that is visible from the street or road fronting the property.
It is recommended that all East Grand Forks residents take a few minutes to install hose number or examine existing hose numbers consider the following:
- Numbers are clearly seen from the street or road fronting the property.
- Numbers are not obstructed by shrubs, trees, or decorations, such as flags.
- Numbers contrast with their background, Brass or bronze are difficult to see.
- Numbers are not spelled out.
- Numbers should be at least 4 inches high.
- Numbers should be at least a stroke width of 1/2 inch.
Those extra minutes spent trying to locate a property can mean the difference between life and death, so please take the time now to be sure your house numbers are able to be seen from the street to help emergency responders find you faster.
If you have any question please call 218-773-2403.
Thank you, Jeff Boushee Fire Chief