SET up A UTILITY ACCOUNT
New Customers Residential & Commercial
- You must come into the Business Office at 600 Demers Avenue to sign up for service.
- Fill out an Application for Utilities
- A State Issued Picture ID is required
- A Connection Deposit is Required as follows:
- $50 for Senior Multi Unit complexes - Townsquare and Sunshine Terrace
- $150 for Non-Electric Heat Residence
- $200 for Electric Heat Residence
- No deposit for commercial accounts
**Due to the pandemic, our business office is closed to the public. You may now sign up for service by calling (218) 773-1163**
Building New Home or Commercial Building
Follow the steps above for "New Customers", plus the additional steps below. Some steps have corresponding fees:
- Obtain the address for your new lot from the Water and Light Business Office at 600 Demers Avenue, 218-773-1163.
- Building Permit - Contact the Building Inspector in the City Hall, 600 Demers Avenue - Phone: 218-773-2208
- Prelimary Service Connection Application - Please print out the Preliminary Service Connection Application (PDF), fill it out and return it to the Distribution Service Center at 1010 5th Avenue NE when you are requesting electric service for a new home or building.
- Temporary Electric Service - Contact the Water and Light Distribution Service Center at 218-773-0515 (an electrician's Certificate of Connection will be needed before this can be done) fee assessed (PDF)
- Trench in Power - Contact the Water and Light Distribution Service Center at Phone: 218-773-0515. fee assessed
- Water Service Connection Fee - Pay this fee at the Water and Light Business Office, 600 Demers Avenue and then pick up your water meter at the Water and Light Distribution Service Center, 1010 5th Avenue NE. this fee (PDF) will depend on the size of water meter you want.
Transferring / Cancelling Utility Service
When you need to cancel your service or transfer service to another address, stop by our Business Office at 600 Demers Avenue or call us with your information Phone: 218-773-1163. A forwarding address is required.
Utility Bill Cost
There are 3 Billing Cycles:
- North End - receive bill on the 1st of each month - due by the 10th
- South End - receive bill on the 15th of the each month - due by the 25th
- Large Commercial - receive bill around the 15th of each month.